Admissions FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions 
Educational Certificates & Attachments
Language Requirements
Tuition Fee
Entrance Examinations
Practical Matters


How do I apply?
In order to apply to Novia UAS you need to fill out the application form online at in the joint application before the end of the application period. Late applications will not be considered. If you cannot make the application online please contact our Admissions Services for more information. Please read more here about how to apply.

When can I apply for Bachelor's and Master's degree programmes?
You can apply to Novia UAS during one of the joint application periods in Finland. Submit your application online at during the first application period  8 January - 22 January 2020

What is the difference between the joint application and an additional/supplementary application?
In the joint application you can apply to up to six different degree programmes in Finland with the same online application. An additional or supplementary application, it means that a University of Applied Science (UAS) is arranging an application independently of other UAS's in Finland if all study places are not filled in the joint application.

Which application attachments do I need to upload to the Studyinfo-portal in addition to my application?
The attachments you need to upload vary depending on which level of study you are applying to, you can find a description of the necessary application attachments under each programme at . Check which application attachments you need for applying to Novia’s degree programmes here. All your application attachments must be uploaded in the online application form. 

Is it advisable to use a fee-charging agency to help with my application process?
No, it is not recommended to use a fee-charging agency to submit your application for you. As an applicant you should always submit your own online application. You should always use your own postal and e-mail address to ensure that you receive all the necessary information directly from the admissions services. Please read more here. If you need help with your application please contact our Admissions Services.

Do I have to pay an application fee?
No, there is no application fee in 2020.

Do I have to pay a tuition fee 2020?
Tuition fees were introduced at Novia UAS 2017 for non-EU/EEA students. Read more about who needs to pay tuition fees here. 

Who can apply?
Anyone who meets the criteria for eligibility can apply. All applicants are evaluated based on the admission criteria. The applicant's eligibility will be assessed based on their application and submitted application attachments. Late attachments will not be considered.

I have arrived in Finland as a refugee. Can I apply to Novia UAS?
Yes, you can apply to our degree programmes also as a refugee. Please find further information here.

Am I eligible?
Please follow the instructions and submit the required application attachments within the given deadlines. Your eligibility will be assessed based on the application and application attachments (i.e. educational qualifications) you upload in the joint application. A final decision on eligibility will be given only after you have submitted an application in the joint application, no pre-decisions will be given. 

How are applicants admitted?
Applicants are admitted based on their success in the entrance examinations. If study places become available later, applicants on the waiting list will be admitted in the order indicated by their admission points. No applicants are admitted without having passed the entrance examination. If you have a failed result in the entrance examination, you cannot be admitted as a student and you will not be on a waiting list.

Back to top >>


How will I know which educational certificates I need to upload?
You can find a summary of the required application attachments for each of Novia’s degree programmes here.

Which attachments should I apply with for Bachelor’s level studies?
You should always apply with your upper secondary school certificate (usually completed between the ages of 15-18). You should not apply with certificates from any higher level of education (Associate, Bachelor, Master or other University level). Some programmes have specific requirements, check which application attachments are required here.

Which attachments should I apply with for Master’s level studies?
You should apply with your Bachelor degree certificate. You should always upload a photocopy of your transcript of records from your Bachelor level studies as well, so that we can verify that your completed studies are in a related field. When applying for Master’s level studies at UAS’s in Finland 2 years (24 months) of full-time work experience in a related field is required after the completion of your Bachelor degree. Therefore you should also upload copies of your work certificates proving your work experience issued by your employer.

My application attachment is not issued in English, Swedish or Finnish. What should I do?
In addition to copies of the attachments in the original language, each applicant must upload copies of the application attachments translated into Finnish, Swedish or English by an official (authorized) translator to the online application form, if the original document is in none of these languages. An official translation includes the name, signature and stamp of the official translator. A list of authorized translators in Finland can be found here.

I already have a degree from my home country. Do I need to study at Novia UAS?
If you already have a degree from your home country you can apply for recognition of your degree at the National Board of Education. Some professions are regulated in Finland. Health care professions are regulated by Valvira, you can apply for recognition of health care professions here . Maritime professions are regulated in Finland by Trafi, you can apply for recognition of your maritime profession here . Valvira or Trafi can give you a license to practice your profession in Finland or they can recommend that you study some more. All of our graduates can get licenses to practice their professions, if their profession is regulated in Finland. If you need to study some more to obtain the right to practice your profession you are welcome to apply to Novia UAS. Novia will accredit your previous knowledge and studies, and you can continue from your level of competence.

I have completed some courses in the field I am applying to. Can Novia accredit courses?
Yes. If you have studied courses within the field you are applying to you can get them accredited by the Head of the Degree Programme after you are admitted to the programme, if the course(s) correspond to the curriculum. There may be some testing involved before credits can be approved. The accreditation is usually done during the first week of studies, all students will then get an individual study plan based on their competence level. The Admissions Service does not accredit courses. The application process is the same regardless of your previous knowledge.

Back to top >>


Do I need an English language certificate to be eligible for Bachelor level studies?
No. Your English language skills will be tested during the entrance examination.

Do I need an English language test to be eligible for Master’s studies?
No. Your English language skills will be tested during the entrance examination.

What are the English language test requirements?
Excellent skills in English are required for success in degree programmes provided in English. The applicants’ language proficiency is assessed in the entrance examination. For a more detailed description of the examination, see the programme specific page.

Do I need Finnish/Swedish language in the Degree programmes?
In some degree programmes you need language skills in the domestic languages Swedish/Finnish. For example Nursing students must show their ability to interact with patients in Finnish/Swedish before their first period of work practice which is in held during the second year of study. 


Back to top >>


Who is required to pay the tuition fee?
You can read about whom is required to pay the tuition fee here.

When will the collection of tuition fees begin?
Tuition fees will be collected starting autumn 2017 (1 August 2017). 

How much is the tuition fee at Novia UAS?
Tuition fees for non-EU/EEA students at Novia UAS 2019 will range between 6000- 9000 € for Bachelor degrees and between 8000 – 11 000 € for Master degrees per academic year. The exact tuition fee per education is available here. There is also a scholarship system in place for students required to pay the tuition fee.

Will all the Finnish UAS' and universities collect tuition fees?
Yes, the collection of tuition fees is compulsory for all Finnish UAS/Universities starting in the autumn 2017.

When is the deadline for paying the tuition fee?
For new students the payment is due in connection with accepting the study place (8 July 2019). For registered students the payment date is 15 November/15 April every academic year.

What are the payment methods for the tuition fee?
You can pay through our payment service Paytrail. The most common credit cards are acceptable as well as bank transfer within Finland.

Where can I pay the tuition fee? 
You can pay the tuition fee at

Can I pay the tuition fee in installments?Yes, you can pay the tution fee in two installments, one payment for each semester. The amount is half of the annual tuition fee.  

Which countries belong to the EU/EEA?
The European Union (EU) includes: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Nederlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom. The European Economic Area (EEA) includes the following countries: Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. Switzerland is linked to the EU by bilateral agreements.

Back to top >>


Are the entrance examinations arranged abroad?
Yes, some entrance examinations are also arranged abroad in 2020. The degree programmes are Maritime Management, Captain, Sustainable Coastal Management and Natural Resource Management. Entrance examinations will be arranged abroad in cooperation with FINNIPS. But all of Novia's degree programmes  will also be arranged in Finland.

Can I take the entrance examination at a Finnish Embassy?
No, Novia UAS does not arrange entrance examinations at Embassies.

Is my result in Novia's entrance examination valid at another UAS in Finland?
Only our Master’s degree programme Leadership and Service Design accepts the entrance examination scores from Turku UAS' degree programme in Leadership and Service Design.

Is the entrance examination free of charge?
Yes, it is free to participate in the entrance examinations in Finland. There may be a small fee in connection to taking an examination abroad. The applicant is responsible for all travel arrangements/costs as well as visa arrangements/costs in connection to the entrance examination.

Can I take the entrance examination without an invitation?
No. You must apply in the joint application in order to be considered. If you are considered eligible in the application you will receive a personal invitation by e-mail to the entrance examination.

How will I know if I am invited to the entrance examination?
All eligible applicants will receive an invitation by e-mail to the entrance examinations. Some degree programmes have a mandatory pre-task which must be approved in order to be invited to the entrance examination. The invitation letter will tell you the time and location of the entrance exam. The invitation letter will also state which materials you need to bring with you to the examination venue.

Can special arrangements be made at the entrance examination?
If you are in need of special arrangements during the entrance examinations please see our information about accessibility. The application for special arrangements should be submitted no later than 30 January 2019 in the first spring application and no later than 10 April 2019 in the second spring application.

When will I know if I was successful in the entrance examination and if I will be admitted?
The admission results will be published fram 7 May 2019 (or at the latest 28 June for Leadership and Service Design).

Back to top >>


Is it free to study at Novia?
Tuition fees were introduced in 2017 for non-EU/EEA students. Read more about tuition fees here. You may also have to purchase some study materials and books. Please read more about financial issues here.

How do I get a student visa/residence permit?
When you have been admitted as a student you can apply for a student visa/residence permit at the Finnish Immigration Service. The requirements are that a student has sufficient funds to support themselves for an entire year (6720 EUR) and a health insurance to cover any health costs during your stay in Finland. Read more about the immigration process here.

Does your University of Applied Sciences offer scholarships?
Yes, there is a scholarship system in place for students required to pay the tuition fee at Novia UAS. More information about the scholarship system is available here.

What is student life like in Finland at Novia?
On Novia's webpages we have some information about issues regarding student life, such as accommodation, working, immigration etc. Please take part of the information here. If you still have further questions please stay in touch with the Admissions Services.

I was accepted as a student to Novia. What should I do to register?
If you were admitted as a student to Novia and want to accept your study place, you should accept your study place online in the Mystudyinfo service or submit the confirmation of acceptance form to the admissions services no later than 8 July 2019 at 3 pm. Information for new students regarding the study start will be available during the summer 2019 here. Please contact the Admissions Services if you have any questions.

Can I postpone the beginning of my studies?
You can register as non-attending (absent) for the first academic year only for the following reasons: 1) if you are unable to begin your studies due to illness or disability, 2) maternity leave, paternity leave or parental leave, or 3) completion of military service, civilian service or voluntary military service for women in Finland. Please find further information here (section "Registration for Attendance or Non-Attendance").

Back to top >>