Actions at Novia UAS due to Coronavirus preparedness
Updated on 21.5.2021
How Novia is adapting operation to Coronapandemic
Novia UAS adapts to the Coronapandemic in accordance with government instructions and in accordance with guidelines agreed upon with other Universities of Applied Sciences. Novia strives for to give our students as normal workdays as possible.
Information about studies in the autumn
Novia UAS plans the autumn term studies according to that we can have contact teaching on campus. We will later inform more on how the studies will look in practice, some courses will continue as remote studies, but mainly teaching will be performed on campus as contact teaching.
Associations may meet on campus during the autumn for board meetings, but no parties or other events may be arranged on campus.
- Masks should be worn at all times. You can bring and use your own mask on campus, Novia will provide masks for learning situations.
- Studies on campus will be prioritized for new students.
- For older students, some of the teaching will be conducted on campus and some remotely. The Head of Degree Programme will decide which studies will be conducted remotely to reduce the number of people on campus. The Head of Degree Programme will inform how studies are arranged within your degree programme.
- Teaching that requires specific spaces or equipment will be done at campus or in other appropriate facilities. Novia offers students protective equipment in exercises where physical contact cannot be avoided, such as simulations. Novia will provide masks for teaching situations.
- If you have been abroad you should follow recommendations given by Finnish National Institute for Health and Welfare (THL), which may involve 14 days of voluntary or compulsory quarantine.
- Students who choose to study or practice abroad during spring 2021 shall go through the risks and challenges related to the pandemic with Novia’s international coordinators.
- Novia follows the situation concerning the pandemic and is prepared to act on short notice if required.
Students from other countries
- We accept foreign degree students, including Double Degree students. It is possible to study remotely in our degree programmes in English. The Faculty of Technology and Seafaring require students physical presence for practical studies.
- Novia will accept exchange students from our partner universities in EU/ETA during spring 2021.
- Students from abroad study remotley for 14 days before visiting campus.
- Vaasa Hospital District has given specific instructions for travels to Vaasa and Jakobstad. Please read their instructions. (updated 8.1.2021)
- FAQ concerning admissions is found on the page for admissions.
- Use face masks on Campus. The Authorities have recommended that we use face masks in public spaces. Students gets face masks at the start of each lesson.
- Student associations events/ Parties are not allowed in Novias facilities. Student associations meetings are allowed on campus, as long as Novias recommendations are followed, which include safety distance and wearing masks when social distance cannot be kept.
- When you visit campus, keep social distance, wash your hands with soap and follow safety measures.
- Stay at home if you feel symptoms of respiratory infection.
- Hand sanitizers can be found at the exits, student restaurants and common spaces.
- Events or studentparties are not allowed in Novias facilities. Student associations meetings are allowed on campus, as long as Novias recommendations are followed, which include safety distance and wearing masks when social distance cannot be kept.
Service at Campus
- From 2021 student healtcare is run by Finnish student health care, this service is available for degree students. Exchange students are reffered to local public healthcare providers.
- Libraries informs about opening hours and policies on their own websites.
- Student services can be contacted by email, more information and contact information is found on Novias intranet (requires login)
- Remember to keep good hand hygiene, follow safety measures and social distance when visiting us!
- Cleaning has been intensified in all facilities.
- Hand sanitizers has been placed out on campus
- Plexiglas will are installed for some of our serivce points.
- Masks and other safety equipment will be handed out in teaching situations where social distance is not possible
The Hospital Districts give restrictions and recommendations locally. The recommendations are based on national recommendations and implemented depending on the local situation.
- Vaasa and Jakobstad follow Vaasa Hospital Districts recommendations.
- Åbo/Turku follows the Hospital District of Southwest Finlands recommendations
- Raseborg follows Hospital District for Helsinki and Uusimaa HUS recommendations.
Take care of your self
- Stay at home if you feel symptoms of respiratory infection. If you get symptoms or suspect infection, contact your local healthcare providers.
- Remember good hygiene at all times.
- It is important that students and staff follow the recommendations set by the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare, which can be found on this site.
Read more about the current corona situation and travel restrictions here:
- Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare: https://thl.fi/en/web/infectious-diseases-and-vaccinations/what-s-new/coronavirus-covid-19-latest-updates/travel-and-the-coronavirus-pandemic
- Finnish Border Guard: https://www.raja.fi/current_issues/guidelines_for_border_traffic
Work is organized to reduce risk of infection, staff can work remotely if needed.
Work-related travels abroad are assessed by case by case-bases, as is receiving of guests. The evaluation is based on the necessity of the trip and recommendations of Finland’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs.